http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Carnival of Recipes #52

Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Squares

WARNING: Should you choose to make these, if your circle of friends and family is anything like mine, you will become a SLAVE to these. “Ooh, you’re coming for such and such an event, bring your brownies!” “I have another great...” “NO YOU WILL BRING THE BROWNIES. END OF DISCUSSION.”

You will need (on hand at all times, apparently):
2 packages of refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
2 8 oz. bricks of cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

1. Press one package of cookie dough into the bottom of a 9x13 brownie pan. It only needs to cover the bottom.
2. In a mixer, combine the cream cheese, eggs, sugar, and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
3. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the cookie dough in the pan.
4. Drop the second package of cookie dough bit by bit to cover the cream cheese mixture.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until cream cheese is set.

Cooking notes:
  • I have made this recipe many, many times, and here are some things I’ve learned about it.
  • Nestle’s Toll House cookie dough works the best. I’ve tried using the store brand, but I end up having problems with the bottom layer adhering to the cream cheese mixture.
  • Using 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese is fine. In fact, I don’t think I’ve made it with full fat cream cheese yet.
  • Sometimes, pressing the dough into the pan can get sticky. A damp paper towel can be used to help the process along.
  • REALLY use the cream cheese being set as the measure of done-ness. I usually like to grab a pot holder and jiggle the pan to check. When it doesn’t wiggle, it’s finished. Sometimes, I’ve baked these for 30 minutes, sometimes 40 minutes. Make sure the cheese is set, or they become too gooey and can’t be cut.
  • The BEST way to serve these: make them the day before you need them. After baking, cool the pan to room temperature, then put the ENTIRE PAN into the refrigerator (before cutting them into brownies) until you need them. Just before serving, cut them into squares (24 is a good sized square). The cheese mixture becomes almost cheese-cake like.
Enjoy!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOT DAMN!!!! These Brownies are AMAZING- Thank you for the info on them!!!!
-shivaun

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The wise Ms.Q (acatnamedpi.blogspot.com) said, "I am starting to figure out that what the Beatles said applies to blog love: The love you take is equal to the love you make."

So, I wanted to stop by today and just say "Hi" because I enjoy your blog, but don't stop often enough and leave a comment. Also, I wanted to invite you to contribute to my "Bloggers Summer Photo Album." Read more about it at mooalex.blogspot.com. I hope you'll want to share your summer fun with the Moo!

(Yes, this is a "form comment," but I mean every word! I swear!)

(Mmmmm... can't wait to make that recipe!)

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.