http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Innocence is an illusion.

There's a lot of partisan wingnuttery floating about the intra-webs today, this fourth anniversary of the worst attack on our soil since Pearl Harbor. I'm not going to talk about where I was that morning, which looked much like this morning--beautiful blue sky, breezes, bright sunshine. I'm not going to talk about how Dale still cries when he sees footage, as he was in and out of the World Trade Center every day until that day--that's his story. I'm not going to talk about my visit to Ground Zero, either.

What I am going to do is present another bit of partisan wingnuttery, to counteract the link above. Read on, make your own conclusions.

In 1963, John F. Kennedy was killed by a white American man with a military background.

In 1961, 16 people were killed and 31 wounded by a sniper in the University of Texas tower who was a white American male with a military background.

In 1968, Martin Luther King, Jr. was killed by a white American male with a military background.

In the 60s, 13 women were brutally strangled to death by a white American male with a military background.

At Kent State in 1970, 4 students were killed by white American males with military backgrounds.

In the 1970's, 6 young New Yorkers were killed and 6 more were wounded by the Son of Sam killer who was a white American male with a military background.

On July 18th, 1984, 21 people were killed and 19 wounded in a McDonald's restaurant by a white American male with a military background.

From 1974-1977 and again in the 80s, Wichita Kansas was terrorized by the brutal slayings and torture of children and others by the "BTK killer" who was a white American male with a military background.

In 1991, 22 people were gunned down at a Luby's in Killen, TX by a white American male with a military background.

On April 19, 1995 a bomb that tore through the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City killing 168 people - 19 of them children - and injuring hundreds was placed by A white American male with a military background.

The "Olympic bombing" in Atlanta in 1996 which killed 1 spectator and wounded 111 others and several abortion clinic bombings (one which killed an off-duty police officer) were perpetrated by a white American male with a military background.

Innocence is an illusion. So is freedom and liberty. What matters is the love and compassion we show each other in our daily lives, because, as we learned so horribly this past August, disaster can strike anywhere, anytime, and often with no one to blame.

(With IMMENSE thanks to Trusty Ghetto, where I first saw this list of facts presented.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Courtney! To commemorate 9/11, I've decided to visit every single blog on my blogroll today. I appreciate the entertainment and enjoyment you provide, and I wish you peace and happiness.
LJ

3:43 PM  
Blogger trusty getto said...

You go, girl!

Should we come up with a few more? I'm sure we can!

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.