http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Making Memes Less Annoying

It's funny, those of us who have blogging for a long time tend to run from memes like the plague. They are little viral monsters that keep "real creativity" at bay, so goes the snottier wisdom about them. Then, Brogan (who is a ROCKSTAR, by the way, the social media evangelist) puts up this really interesting post this morning about why memes may actually be viable forms of communication. Connection points, and context. In other words, they bring us together.

Not to say I'm going to fill this space with memes from now on, but I found it a really interesting way to look at the phenomenon. So, I'll play along with one he posted, to keep the conversation going.

Four Things

Four jobs I’ve had in my life:

1. Camp counselor for kids with disabilities. Started me on the road I walk now.
2. Ice cream parlor counter girl. A summer with me covered in hot fudge.
3. Instructional assistant at a school for students with multiple disabilities (see a thread yet?).
4. Special education teacher.

Four TV shows I DVR:
None, I don't have TiVo. But here are four I watch too much of (at least, before the writers' strike)

1. The Office. Come back. Please.

2. 30 Minute Meals. The perky sometimes gets me, but some of the tips are great.

3. Law and Order: Special Victims Unit. USA--the crack network.
4. Everyday Italian.

Four places I’ve Been:
1. London, England

2. San Fransisco, CA

3. Flagstaff, AZ

4. Washington, DC

Four favorite foods:
1. Spaghetti with tomato sauce.

2. French toast.

3. Spicy tuna hand rolls

4. Broccoli.


So, your opinion of memes? Play along, if you want.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I'll bite...

Four jobs I’ve had in my life:

1. Retail clerk at a catalog showroom (think Service Merchandise)

2. Orderly at a chronic care hospital - third shift (the graveyard shift - aptly named)

3. Boston College Dining Services worker and Student Manager.

4. High school chemistry teacher.

Four TV shows I DVR:
Don't own a DVR, but I would record the following:

1. Fight Science

2. The Human Weapon

3. Good Eats (I'm an Alton Brown fan!)

4. Yankees baseball games - all of them

Four places I’ve Been:
1. Okinawa, Japan

2. Bologna Italy

3. Houston, TX

4. Montreal, Canada

Four favorite foods:
1. Bolognese Lasagne

2. IHOP buttermilk pancakes

3. Una-jo (grilled eel on rice)

4. Keebler Fudge Grahams

That was fun, and I love memes.

F5A

11:06 AM  
Blogger Chris Brogan said...

Super cool, Courtney! : )

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If nothing else, memes are a conversation starter. Unfortunately, they work their way around and get tiresome after awhile.

As for your answers to "The 'Four' Meme," I love Flagstaff, AZ. My wife and I would love to retire there. (We live in Missouri now.)

The four most interesting places I've been: Beirut, Lebanon (In college while hiking around the Middle East in the early eighties).

Jerusalem. (Same Trip)

Amsterdam. (I don't remember much. :) )

Paris. (Honeymoon -- I remember that like yesterday.)

Cheers via Michelle.

5:33 PM  
Blogger yellojkt said...

Memes? Meh. Unless they are very clever or I can fuck with them a little. These ones that are just lists or questions are neither.

Four places I've been:

1. Underneath the space shuttle on the launch pad.

2. In the walls of the Smithsonian Natural History Museum.

3. On top of the dome of the Library of Congress.

4. In the utility tunnels of Florida Atlantic University.

All job-related.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.