http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The Year of the Snarl

CourtneyRecently, I came across this picture of myself. After I stopped laughing and started breathing again, I realized that this is one of the few pictures of me in "full battle gear", so to speak. Let's analyze, shall we, the dorkiness that was my full-on alterna-girl stage.

First, ok, I'm wearing a goddamn beret. I should have been shot on sight for that, but, back in 1987, no one could tell me anything, particularly if it were critical. In fact, I think the expression I'm wearing in this picture was the standard reaction to trying to suggest something to me.

Next, black eyeliner. Back then, I didn't realize that eyeliner of any color makes my lids look heavy and causes me to seem sleepy all the time. But, no self-deprecating alterna-girl left the house without her black eyeliner, so, neither did I.

Of course, the black vintage vest was a wardrobe staple. The particular vest I'm wearing in that picture came from a 70s era womens tuxedo that my mother had buried in the closet. I am not wearing the grey mens suit jacket I bought in the vintage clothing shop for 20 bucks in this picture, but I'll bet it was nearby. I could have been wearing a more hard core t-shirt, but I had just seen U2 that summer, and they were awesome. I believe that was the same summer my mother threatened to ground me until graduation if I bought another concert ticket. That threat also prevented me from seeing the Replacements and probably reuniting with alterna-boy. I later did see the 'Mats. He, however, moved to Australia.

Finally, the mini-skirt and black tights. As this picture was taken over Thanksgiving weekend, at my grandmother's house in North Carolina, my mother forced me to leave my fishnets at home. I spent most of my junior year in a mini-skirt and fishnet stockings. I did, however, find the most amazing pair of boots on this trip, which looked bad ass with the fishnets.

Many years later, I realized that cool was not defined by the clothes or the boots. However, don't say that in front of my pink snakeskin Doc Marten boots. They'll get jealous.

What did you look like, "back in the day", punk?

10 Comments:

Blogger trusty getto said...

Oh, thick long dirty blond curly hair down my back (ala Sammy Hagar), hoop in my left ear, smoke tucked behind my left, black and red striped pants (the rave in Germany in 1984), and a white leather jacket that a pimp wouldn't be caught dead in (that I paid for gradually on layaway for the entire summer)!

9:40 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I think you look adorable. Very 80's, but adorable.

I had the 80's big hair thing goin'. And the Frankie Goes To Hollywood huge t-shirts, the wrap-around belts, tight jeans with the zip on the ankle - the whole nine!

God I miss that...

Here via Michele again today!

10:20 AM  
Blogger HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

"Caroline laughs and it's raining all day,
she loves to be one of the girls.
She lives in a place inside of our lives
where nothing is ever put straight.
She turns and she laughs and she smiles and she says,
this is it, that's end of the joke.
And loses herself in her dreaming and sleep,
and her lovers walk through in their coats,
she's pretty in pink, isn't she?"

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you look really pretty. I had about 40 different haircuts and outfits in the late eighties. I think my Ska, two tone look was the worst, or it could have been the purple mohican i had afterwards. What a dork i must have looked.

4:22 PM  
Blogger HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

All her tattered flags of war
and other kinds of uniforms
that kid you you're really free in life
individuality,
you are what you want to be.
Until tomorrow...

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, teenage years, many bad looks.

The funnest old photo I found I was 9 or 10 and wore my favorite clothes. I saw no conflict between rubber boots, a dress will layers of skirts and frills and Montral Expos baseball cap.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Ms .45 said...

One word - mullet.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was definitely a U2 shirt-I did the 80's "I hate my life and you along with it" mode, too. We had to do it. I mean, we had to wipe clean our memories, after colored mascara, Members Only jackets and leg warmers and move on to something that was slightly less cringe-worthy, didn't we?

//Helen
http://everydaystranger.net

8:29 AM  
Blogger Fen said...

I don't know how I'd characterize my 80's look. I had overly long stupid bangs that I thought made me look mysterious but it probably just irritated my teachers because they could never see my eyes.

For some reason, I had a personal issue with jeans back then and never wore them. Didn't even own any jeans until I was in college. Still not quite sure why.

I will have to find some old photos from that era. Such a funny trip down ol Memory Lane!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Zelda said...

My parents didn't believe in spending money on clothes, and we lived out in the sticks. The nearest clothing store was a K-Mart almost 30 miles away. The nearest mall was almost 60. I had a very stifled 80s.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.