http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Eve

As I said to a friend recently, I cannot rationally talk about how much I love this song. If you played it for me 50 times in a row, first of all, I'd be able to listen to it 50 times in a row, and second, I'd be crying by the end of it 48 times.

The article I linked gives a little history. Shane McGowan based the lyrics loosely on a J.P. Donleavy novel. Knowing much about the Pogues, and their wild history, it amazes me every time I hear Fairytale that this band was capable of this much beauty. Then again, knowing what I know about the Pogues, and my own Irish heritage, the tragic beauty makes perfect sense to me. I get chills listening to it, every time. So, seriously, if it's not tears, it's chills.

One memory I have of this song involves an old friend Phil. He and his wife used to have a rocking Christmas party every year; they may still. It's been a long time since I've been invited. At any rate, invariably at this party, we'd be drunk to the point of incoherence (much in the tradition of dear old Shane), and someone would put on this song, and we'd sing it--lustily, loudly, comically. I loved those renditions.

My other memory is that of my own head when I listen to this song. Generally, the waterworks begin on this song when I'm alone, in my car, singing along to myself, and I start hearing the lyrics, and picturing this old Irish couple, gasping out their last breaths in hatred, dying alone and jaded, him in a jail cell, her on a methodone drip. We all have visions in our head of what songs "look like", and here's mine. What I see in my head, EVERY SINGLE TIME--the end, during that beautiful swirling string arrangement, they're young, and full of promise again, and they're dancing together under a streetlamp, in the falling snow. Turning each other around and around for all eternity in his final dream.

Merry Christmas to all. May you find yourself with the ones you love this holiday, or, at the very least, dancing together in their dreams.
Fairytale of New York - The Pogues


MP3 File

10 Comments:

Blogger The Mistress of the Dark said...

I discovered Fairytale of New York about a year or so ago. It's a wonderful song that I can listen to all year round, though I'm discovering there are many Christmas songs that have year long appeal.

Have a merry Christmas!

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Courtney!

I also love this song, but to me it's made so much more poignant by the work of Kirsty MacColl, who sadly died around this time of year a few years ago saving her kids from being run over by a boat in Mexico.

larry

10:30 AM  
Blogger HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

I knew she was dead, but didn't know the circumstances. That is sad.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Courtney,
You could not have picked a better song for today. It was the first song I listened to this morning, and probably will be played several more times tonight. Thank you so much. Merry Christmas to you and yours!
MJ

2:12 PM  
Blogger Seb said...

Merry Christmas, you fine human being! Drink some eggnog on behalf of all of us eggnog-less expats!

2:13 PM  
Blogger ribbiticus said...

thank you for sharing this wonderful song with us! it definitely is full of the hopes and dreams of the season. hope you have a wonderful christmas! :)

2:46 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Gosh, and I thought I had heard every possible Christmas song! Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas!

Michele sent me....

4:09 PM  
Blogger kontan said...

Merry Christmas, thanks for stopping by my place!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Unfortunately I dare not try to listen to the song on my parents dial-up internet connection, but at least I can wish you a very Merry Christmas. Hope you have a wonderful day today.

4:25 AM  
Blogger Viamarie said...

That was beautiful! Now I have a new song to my collection. Honestly, I have not heard of it before. Thanks for sharing it. Merry Chrsitmas to All!

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.