http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Come on Feel the Noise

Free speech is a constitutionally mandated right in this country, and everyone has a right to their opinion. Conversely, everyone has the right to dispute said opinions, even MOCK said opinions. So this morning, I bring you M.A.N.--Mothers Against Noise. As my friend Jason, where I found this link, said, "I'd be afraid if it wasn't so laughable".

For all of my friends out there who are fans of Radiohead, or Sonic Youth, take heed. Those bands are "gateway bands" to the noise, lumped into the same evil category as Andrew W-K, and a list of other bands I've never even heard of (and I work in a middle school).

A quote, to help you discover their true organizing principles:

Lets take a slight roll down history lane, shall we?? First there was Mozart, then Beethoven, then Glen Miller, and all was fine in the world.. :) then the bomb called Elvis was dropped, soon came Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash, this was the rage called rock and roll. And the world would never bee the same again, Parents disdained it and generally their opposition was based on the sound and style of the music. But the underlying theme had become the anthem for the youth culture. To many this theme became far more important and influential than the actual music. This theme was more than just an image--- IT WAS THE SPIRIT OF REBELLION!! Music was no longer an organized structure of melody and notes, rock and roll introduced dissonance and unpleasant sound at extremely loud volumes. Though far from advocates, parents and educators dismissed it as a fad of teen years, The excuse was (and still is in noise) that all teenagers go thru a time of testing and growing that is often associated with rebellion. Rock and Roll didn't go away. Noise musicians see that rock music has lost its affect and has became an accepted form within the climate of music and now the noise agenda has its sights on eliminating any traces of melody or structure. In my estimation this is where we lost Americas- and literally the worlds youth culture. Music is the foundation of culture and these self proclaimed prophets seek on destroying what little we have yet to hold on to. In this post 9-11 world we have to fight harder and smarter than our enemies. We must arm our self with knowledge and seek to shine light where there is only darkness.

Noise is one of the most fanatical cults I have ever seen, within hours of putting our website and message board online we were flooded with messages and email from those involved in the scene. These people hide behind the guise of "artistic creativity" while in reality they are out to destroy any trace of art.(How contradictory is that folks?) It spreads a message that is dogmatically opposed to the message of the "establishment" and thus attains the status of a cult in my mind. A lot of "noise defenders" will use excuses that they are presenting alternatives to the established order that is also rotten, but instead of trying to offer a well balanced alternative to the system they seek on tearing it down. The noise scene is also structured a lot like terrorist organizations, they work in small numbers with no clear leader and work feverishly on their 'music' often self releasing cds and records (I might add if you heard most of this stuff, youd see why). This makes our job a lot harder since we do not have a handful of larger record companies to boycott or pressure. (source)


These bands are like TERRORIST ORGANIZATIONS, people! Terrorists! Out to corrupt and destroy our beloved country!

Please, PLEASE, go look at their website. Come back and tell me what you think, and try not to bust something laughing so hard.

8 Comments:

Blogger trusty getto said...

I agree with her wholeheartedly. How can you disagree with statements like this:

We must arm our self with knowledge and seek to shine light where there is only darkness.

These people hide behind the guise of "artistic creativity" while in reality they are out to destroy any trace of art.(How contradictory is that folks?)

If all the elements of art are removed from art, the soul of a culture is dead. And that is exactly what Noise is. Sound of a dead soul.

I'm burning my Radiohead records right now . . . .

1:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yep, all my Radiohead CD's and paraphenalia will be immediately burned. I've seen the light. How could I have not known that these records were making me evil?

*rolls eyes*

3:21 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I thought Tammy Faye Baker was in jail?! All I can say is WTF?! This woman is insane. I almost wanted to e-mail her, but then thought better of it. Thanks for a good laugh.

Michele sent me...

9:03 AM  
Blogger Trouble said...

I'm so going to hell. But, on the brightside, at least there will be good company. and good music. ;)

11:01 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

I wonder what she would think about me teaching my daughter words to Metallica? Hmm, I'm going to hell anyway, may as well have fun on the way there! LOL!

What a whack job!

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, thanks so much for that link, Courtney! I laughed for like a year.

Seriously, what is wrong with some people?

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear God. Didn't we go through this in the 80s with the PMRC? I am like everyone else, I don't know why they included Radiohead. I *REALLY* don't know why they included Andrew W.K. since no one takes him seriously anyway. I've never even heard of most of those bands they listed, but would like to hear 16 Bitch Pileup. That's just a cool name.

2:42 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

M-A-N was all a marketing ploy by Universal Music Group. Check out the M-A-N site these days for the real scoop.

Looks like the MAN stuck it to us, eh?

AC

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.