http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Monday, January 02, 2006

Dismantling Christmas


Christmas tree
Originally uploaded by Supercapacity.
(photo credit: supercapacity, via Flickr)

Today, I dismantled Christmas in my apartment. It's always a little sad, no matter how sick of the decorations you may be. Suddenly, the room seems more bare than before, even though you've returned it to it's natural state. That dry, faded green tree at the curbside, looking forlorn, and abandoned. Though, if you look up and down the street, you can see your particular dead stump is not alone. But really, the melancholy comes from knowing it will be another year before you see that cherished ornament your great aunt made, another year before those lights will twinkle in your window, before you'll drink from the special china, bought specifically for breakfast on Christmas morning.

I always hate dismantling Christmas. It almost feels like you're burying glad tidings and cheer, snuffing out a joyous light in the bleak mid-winter.

But, at least I have a desk back again...

4 Comments:

Blogger The Mistress of the Dark said...

Christmas doesn't get dismantled here until after Epiphany. If I had my way, the Christmas Tree would be up all year :)

7:12 AM  
Blogger Eric XXL said...

The weekend after New Years is our takedown time, and yes it always is a little sad. After the tree is down it's nothing but cold, snow and gray until Easter which is so depressing. 20 more years of work until I can spend my winters in AZ

10:49 AM  
Blogger trusty getto said...

Yea, I hear you. I get to do this myself this week so the kiddies come back from mommy's to a clean house !!!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Taking mine down next weekend. Depressing as heck. But, it's time and much like everything else, time waits for no one. Damn, that's philosophical. What's wrong with me today?!?

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.