http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Thursday, August 31, 2006

It's All About the 'Wood These Days...


Ah, Norwood. Here's another installment in the lunatic fringe.

Our town seal, shown here, depicts Minuteman Aaron Guild leaving his farm to march off and fight the British at the Battle of Lexington Green. As this article details, our town's Veterans' Services Director feels it needs to be changed, as Aaron's clothing is historically inaccurate. I'll give you a minute to see if you can figure out why...

...give up? Well, for those of you who needed the obvious pointed out (as I did, as I've been staring at this thing for thirty-plus years, and it took this article for me to realize the error), Aaron's wearing red. Aaron was a Minuteman, fighting British soldiers, who, in 1775, wore RED COATS. Hence, the common historical term for the Revolutionary War-era British Army being Redcoats. As stated in the article,
"there is virtually no way he was wearing red (of the enemy)," said [Ted]Mulvehill yesterday. "It’s too glaring an error to overlook." Historical Society President Patricia Fanning put it another way. "If he marched off wearing red, he would have been shot," Fanning said."(source)
A resounding "DUH" was had by all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

It's about time somebody took action on this.

AC

8:40 AM  
Blogger Shawna said...

I figured it was the red jacket. I remember something from American History! See Ma, I WAS listening!

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.