http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Monday, August 28, 2006

Norwood Beefcake, Episode 1


Lewis' Burger closeup
Originally uploaded by crau1971.
I know, the word "beefcake" conjures up images of men in low-cut leather pants, partially unzipped, lounging around on a... sorry, distracted there. Anyway, this is not that kind of beefcake (although if Brownie wants to come pose for a picture for me, bring it, hon). This is the first installment in a very unusual series I'm starting about my hometown.

Norwood, MA has an unusual number of bars and restaurants. Many of these local establishments have tried to "upscale" themselves in recent years, and bring in the family crowd. Each of these bars is known for something (other than the place Sully got into a fight with Jonesy and they both got arrested). These bars all have some sort of beef specialty as their claim to fame. So, like the "lifer" I am, I'm going to chronicle each and every one of these specialties, and maybe, declare a "Best Beefcake of Norwood" at the end. It's also possible that I'll be too drunk and/or constipated to declare a winner. You be the judge of that.

First up, Lewis'. For many years, Lewis' was one of those "unmentionable" places for reputable ladies of the 'Wood. Maybe it's the nudie oil paintings on the wall of the main bar, who knows? All I know is that, growing up, Lewis' was labelled "scary", and only certain people went there. In recent years, the owners have redefined the "back bar" of Lewis' from a divy sports-themed performance space, to a grill pub-like, upolstered booth, generic town bar and grille. Oh well. Maybe they're trying to reclaim the local lunch crowd. At any rate, Lewis', naturally, has a specialty. Well, a dual specialty. A "bucket" of beer, and the Lewis Burger, shown above.

The Lewis Burger, for all intents and purposes, is a heart attack on a bun. Take a look at the picture, and we'll start at the bottom. You have a medium rare cheeseburger, American cheese, of course, then a piece of white toast. On top of the white toast, you have lettuce, tomato, red onion, mayo, and EGG SALAD. That's right, egg salad, folks. Start popping the Lipitor and the Protonix now. Then, the top of the bun. Served with fries, naturally, and a big ole draft beer.

In true Norwood tradition, I had my first Lewis Burger at age 19. Yes, the drinking age in MA is 21. I could make the story less interesting, but I won't. Suffice to say, this burger is the most nasty and alternately satisfying burger you'll ever eat. Filling doesn't even BEGIN to describe the feeling you experience once you've finished this burger (if you can). That first squishy, warm, juicy bite has a million flavors going on, and the egg salad actually causes you to put the burger down and look at it in mild amusement. Strangely, the flavors all work together, with the egg salad bringing a mild sweetness. At the risk of sounding above its station, I'll reclassify thusly--Best.Cure.for.a.Hangover. Ever. Other than the traditional "hair of the dog that bit ya" . This burger is a Norwood legend, and if any of you are ever here in my hometown, you can bet your asses I'm taking you for one.

Stay tuned for further installments, where I dissect the differences between the 9000 varieties of steak tips served in this town (I'm only slightly exaggerating).

7 Comments:

Blogger Eric XXL said...

Excellent idea for posts. I wish more people highlighted all the food related curiosities of their hometown on their blogs. It must be lunchtime

2:09 PM  
Blogger yellojkt said...

The egg salad kills it for me. Otherwise it sounds like a great burger.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are my hands in that pic and I can say with some authority that if you ever get sick off a Lewis' burger, you can bet your ass it was the egg salad that tipped the scales from big-fat-greaseball burger to vomit-inducing horror.

3:29 PM  
Blogger APN said...

Yup.... The egg salad did it for me as well. I don't even like egg salad by itself, much less combined with a large patty of medium rare hamburger meat (the best kind of hamburger).

Alas....

But is there anyway to get those fries & beer without the egg salad?

5:44 PM  
Blogger Trouble said...

omg that looks hellagood.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

wow. i still can't tell if i'm grossed out or amazingly tempted. gimme, gimme.

great idea for posts. i've never been in a place long enough to learn all the ins and outs, so it's especially fun for me to read.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Okay, that burger scares me. However, the last time I ordered a burger (several weeks ago), I first asked if it was lean beef, then I asked for a whole wheat bun on the bottom no bun on top and only mustard and tomatoes. Yes, I ate it with a fork and knife. Yes, I annoy my friends. Yes, I would go for a Lewis burger with you (and skip the utensils.....but it would scare me.

I love how you tell the story.

Courtney, do you think for one moment that I (or anyone else reading this) believes that you waited until you were nineteen to go out drinking? C'mon, I can do better that that and you know how boring I am (wink) - of course the drinking age in my province IS nineteen, so perhaps my underage drinking is not that impressive!

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.