http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Friday, August 04, 2006

Reunion Rant

Ok, I've let this topic slide for far too long, but this story in today's Washington Post has put me over the edge (and it should make you nuts, too, Tesco!).

The Germs are reuniting. Without frontman and face of the band Darby Crash, who died at the age of 22 in 1980. The person fronting the Germs now is Ray Barnett, the actor playing Darby in the upcoming movie, What We Do is Secret (not to be confused with the blog of the same name).

Publicity stunt? Genuine reunion? WHEN WILL THIS SHIT END?????

I have issues--ISSUES--with bands reuniting under their original name without certain members who, for all intents and purposes, were the defining members of that band, or if half the band is dead and touring as "that band" like nothing had ever happened.

The Who. Half a Who, more like it. Queen. The "New Cars", although I'm inclined to give them a pass because of the "new" bit, but it still annoys me. The New York Dolls. Seriously, if Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr announced tomorrow they were touring as "The Beatles", people would be outraged and want their heads on platters. And the simple reason is, they're not The Beatles anymore. All of the bands I've listed here are missing key players, people who made those bands the legends that they are. To tour without them, and still call your self by the original, is blasphemy. Pure blasphemy. Stop, all of you, becaues it will never be the same again. And you're killing the memories.

Yes, I'm sure you all have many reasons to prove me wrong, so bring it in the comments. I hold my position.

/Rant. For now...

(You'll also find this story featured on Gather.com. Look for it under the Music tags.)

11 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Right on. Anything to cash in on the movie and the punk revival craze. Didn't someone once sing something about "turning rebellion into money"? Oh, but that was a long time ago.

And then there's John Lydon and the Pistols.

AC

9:08 AM  
Blogger David said...

.. and some of us have yet to get it together in the first place!

Have you dissed the establishment today?
Sure, I knew you could...

12:32 PM  
Blogger yellojkt said...

When I hear about an 80s band touring, I check to see if the lead singer is on the bill. Usually not. Styx, Journey, Foreigner, and REO Speedwagon are just some of the offenders here. Dennis DeYoung is touring solo, so he obviously go over the stage fright.

I'd give New York Dolls a pass since it is surviving members including the frontman forming the band. You can't be blamed if everybody OD'ed around you. I guess those Buster Poindexter royalties are slowing down.

I even give Townsend and Daltrey some slack.

Paul and Ringo would NOT qualify for this exemption. They had plenty of chances. And the most talented members are the ones pushing up daisies.

1:12 PM  
Blogger jlmack said...

Thank you. I totally agree with your rant.
Trust me, I've screamed the same thing at people I barely know.

2:19 PM  
Blogger rashbre said...

There's a few bands like the Stones that can get away with it based on occasional and long term changes. There are also some modern bands who are really 2 or 3 people and some ancilliaries. That also works for me.

When its a big name though and the above don't apply, I guess its really deception.

Tribute bands are different. You know what you are getting. I went to see the Beatles, T-rex and the Pink Floyd open air last weekend and it was great fun listening to fairly accomplished musicians play and recreate moments from the past.

Here from Michele's ; Hiya !

rashbre

9:41 AM  
Blogger Max and Me said...

hey there! just popping on to say hello from gather. great blog you have here i must say! stop on over and vist anytime...diane (synchronicity)

1:46 PM  
Blogger yellojkt said...

You made me rant too.

10:26 AM  
Blogger trusty getto said...

But what will aging rock-n-rollers do? They can't get day jobs. They're not qualified to do anything, 'cept sit on the beach and play acoustic guitar next to a bonfire. Either that or trash a hotel room. How will they earn a living?

;^o

5:14 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

amen

2:41 PM  
Blogger Jason Green said...

Regarding the mention of '80s bands without their singer, the only one that works for me is Styz. Dennis DeYoung and Tommy Shaw HATE each other, and if I had to pick one to keep the band going, well, it'd be Tommy Shaw.

Another band to add to that list is Skid Row, who tour without Sebastian Bach...

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone who'd go see "The Germs" probably doesn't care about authenticity. The guy who played him in the movie is close enough. (BTW, Darby was a bit of a fraud. History has been very, very kind to him. An interesting character maybe, but no legend.)
Those who know better will stay home. Let history worry about the legend.
You go to see Creedence Clearwater Revisited because you loved the songs. You want to hear them live and you would've died to see them in the '60s so you'll jump at the opportunity to indulge some honeyed nostalgic past. It'd be better with John Fogerty, sure, but without him you'll be able to get better seats. Also, the guys in the band don't get royalties and for years (forty years ago) they proved their committment in supporting Fogerty and his songs. To a degree, they've earned the priviledge of soiling the legend. (Besides, however they slime the songs in performance, the records will always sound the same.)
I used to want to hate The Sex Pistols for their Filthy Lucre episode. Johnny Rotten said in an interview that he wanted to pay off his mortgage and provide some security for his family. It's his legend, if he wants to piss on it let him do it. (It's easy to worry about such things when money isn't an issue.)
Ric Ocasek can stay at home with the kids, he's still cashing his "Best Friend's Girl" checks. Anyway, "The New Cars" got Todd Rundgren; Queen's got Paul Rogers (who represented himself pretty well). They both could've done much worse.
It ain't the real thing, but it is live music and that's reason enough to get out of the house. (Though, if you paid $100 for your arena seat you're a chump.)

Peace.

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.