http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Reading Matters: Please Help!

I had a library card by the age of four. My town library's requirements for getting a children's library card was that you had to be able to write your name, independently, on the form. Your parents could help with the rest. Since I was already reading Dr. Seuss and Beatrix Potter on my own, writing my name was an easy task. I CHERISHED my library card; it was access to cheap, ever-renewing entertainment for a family without a great deal of "discretionary income" in the middle 70s. One of my favorite moments as a teacher was watching a struggling reader stick with a book to the ending, and ask for another one. As much as technology and society have advanced, with ebooks and websites and newsreaders, books remain special.

My internet buddy, yellojkt, of Foma*, has issued a call for help. One of his readers, who volunteers with a reading program in rural North Carolina, has asked for help building the town library's collection, particularly for younger and struggling readers.

Head on over to yellojkt's site, and do what you can to help. Thanks.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

I've got a crapload of books and donate some to the local library every year. (I, like you, loved going to the library as a kid, even though in grammar school I was classified with the charming label of "slow reader" -- back before anyone knew much about dyslexia.) Anyway, I'll see if I've got anything of use. Most of my kids books are the ones I want to keep -- like "The Two Twits," by Roald Dahl. I actually bought that one while I was in college.

AC

8:22 AM  
Blogger yellojkt said...

Thanks, Courtney. I now I have a lot of book loving readers.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kids love the library. And the bookstore. I'll have to go pay yellojkt a visit...

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.