http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Boys and Girls in America

When I first saw this story out of Arizona, about a high school looking to ban hugs that last more than two seconds, I had the same initial reaction to it as the girl in the article: "totally ridiculuous". Not two minutes later, however, I came across a local story that detailed two adolescent boys sexually assaulting a girl in the bathroom of their public middle school. Suddenly, perhaps, not so ridiculous after all. Certainly, it could be argued that one school is hyperreacting to the natural tendencies of teenagers to respond to each other through touch, whether that touch is sexual or non-sexual, walk through the halls of a middle or high school as the bell rings, and you will see children hugging each other as if they've been separated for a lifetime, and not simply since 4th period. It could also be argued that one school is not attentive to the basic safety needs of younger adolescents who, in the course of exploring who they are developmentally, are not getting the best role models from society and popular culture. Who knows? I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong view to either of these stories, but it was certainly an interesting juxtaposition on a Sunday morning.

And, as if to lead me to my natural penchant for a middle ground, I read this fascinating article in the New York Times Magazine about a blossoming movement for single-sex public schools. Many of you familiar with public education laws and regulations see that label and start screaming, "Title IX, Title IX!!", as does the ACLU attorney monitoring this issue, who is quoted in this article. And yes, Title IX does expand upon the basic 14th Amendment prohibitions on gender discrimination by stating that public schools are not allowed to exclude boys or girls from programs solely based on their gender. We see this played out mostly in sports, but it applies to all public school systems. Co-ed, or unfunded, essentially. So, how does the single sex schooling movement justify itself, and receive public money to create these schools and classrooms?

One arm of the movement is spearheaded by the brain research of Leonard Sax, who uses his findings to claim that boys and girls are "wired differently" and therefore, should be taught differently. There have been modest successes in schools subscribing to this viewpoint, and I could detail to you a thousand meetings I've sat in with underachieving adolescent boys, who, when tested, show themselves to be quite bright and academically capable, but are struggling in middle school. The oft-repeated line in those meetings: he lacks motivation. And the article points to several schools in economically disadvantaged communities where single-sex classrooms and schools are working well for the students they serve. As quoted in the article,
Despite six years of No Child Left Behind, the achievement gaps between rich and poor students and white and black students have not significantly narrowed. “People are getting desperate” is how Benjamin Wright, chief administrative officer for the Nashville public schools, described the current interest in single-sex education to me. “Coed’s not working. Time to try something else.”
And many communities see this "something else" as the way to bring their students to high achievement levels.

The other side of the single-sex schools movement comes from Ann Rubenstein Tisch, who helped found The Young Womens Leadership School in Harlem. She feels that the brain research angle is too limiting, and states, “Nobody is planning the days of our girls around a photograph of a brain.” This school's philosophy is based largely on social reasons. Her single gender focus was framed by tours of elite private girls schools, social-economic research, and court decisions about schooling and gender, which will allow schools to provide single-sex education as long as a co-ed choice remains available.

This choice, it seems, is the lynchpin of the arguement both for and against. Academic research comparing co-ed versus same sex schools is largely inconclusive; however, what both models do illustrate is the power of parental choice and parental involvement in their children's educational needs.
...disadvantaged students at single-sex schools have higher scores on standardized math, reading, science and civics tests than their counterparts in coed schools. There are two prevailing theories to explain this: one is that single-sex schools are indeed better at providing kids with a positive sense of themselves as students, to compete with the antiacademic influences of youth culture; the other is that in order to end up in a single-sex classroom, you need to have a parent who has made what educators call “a pro-academic choice.” You need a parent who at least cares enough to read the notices sent home and go through the process of making a choice — any choice.
I work in a public school, and I can tell you, anecdotally, there are many days were having the boys and girls separated is a very good thing, and there are other days it's certainly better for them to be together. But, what I can tell you, definitively, is that the students I see who's parents are involved in their lives every day, and hold their own children accountable every day, are the students who succeed, across all demographic labels: gender, economics, race, disability category.

Which brings me back to the original two stories I posted. Would single-sex schooling have mitigated the problems in each of those articles? Perhaps not in the first; adolescent girls hug each other constantly. In the second article, maybe yes. The New York Times story makes some pretty powerful statements about how the single-sex classrooms and high schools allow education in a de-sexualized environment, which is often radically different from the environments the students live in. Whether this is good or bad remains to be seen, but certainly in terms of eliminating fear of assault for at least part of the day cannot be bad. Allowing boys and girls to see there are options for their lives beyond the lure of pop culture is also motivating and powerful. I'm still not sure single-sex schooling is the answer, but it definitely brings up interesting questions.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger yellojkt said...

The guys from the local all-boys Jesuit high school were complete animals at any conference or overnight convention. Being around girls can teach civil behavior.

11:30 PM  
Blogger yellojkt said...

While not as well researched as your post, I put more thoughts about this on my blog. You're the one in the trenches, but I don't see single gender schooling as a big factor. Most gains are the result of the Hawthorne Effect. People do better when they are being studied.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

My husband and I are both products of single-sex education. He went to a Christian Brothers high school, the one my godson is currently attending. Contrary to the other comment, the boys at that school are always better behaved than their counterparts, including the girls. They have high expectations of them and they do get an excellent education. As a freshman, my godson is already in an AP course.

I am an alumna of a women's college. I did two exchanges, both with coed schools, and I can say that I got a better education at my home college than at the coed American university I went to for a semester. The education was so different abroad, I can't compare them the same way.

I think there's a lot of benefits to single sex education, for males and females, but to me they are in the realm of private education, not public.

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I myself am also the product of single-sex education (St. John's High School in Shrewsbry, MA). Having taught at all three flavors (all girls: Hockaday in Dallas; all boys: St. John's Prep in Danvers; and now co-ed: Edgewood High School in Madison) I can say that in my experience, the students at single-sex schools are more focused in the classroom and tend to be more respectful to the opposite sex.
However, it should also be noted that all four schools mentioned above are private schools, and the socio-economic backgrounds of the students plays into a lot of this. I'd be curious to see how a single-sex public school works.

Oh, and Fuck Title IX

7:34 PM  
Blogger Allie said...

This is really interesting. I have to say that I think I would have gotten a better education if I'd been in a single sex classroom. I took a few classes in college that ended up being populated by women (either by accident or subject matter) and got so much more out of them. I also remember worrying to much about what the cute kid with the blue eyes thought of me to raise my hand in science class. And I've noticed that often teachers focus more on male students. But none of this is scientific data, obviously.

I love your blog, by the way. I came here from The Daily Tannenbaum.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.