http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Well, I Suppose Now They Can Get His Gun

Charlton Heston died yesterday. I realize that there's probably a more appropriate title to this post, but it was the first thing that popped into my head.

For those of you who may not remember this particular NRA keynote speech he delivered, I'll remind you:
In Mr. Heston, the N.R.A. found its embodiment of pioneer values — pride, independence and valor. In a speech at the N.R.A.’s annual convention in 2000, he brought the audience to its feet with a ringing attack on gun-control advocates. Paraphrasing an N.R.A. bumper sticker (“I’ll give you my gun when you take it from my cold, dead hands”) he waved a replica of a colonial musket above his head and shouted defiantly, “From my cold, dead hands!”(source)
Despite that odd turn of events, he had a remarkable career in film and will be missed by fans world wide.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soylent Green is people! And now Chuck is Soylent Green!

9:14 AM  
Blogger jlmack said...

I was partial to, 'the doorway to freedom is lined with muskets'. I remember I said that to a friend of mine. She thought I said 'muskrats'.

That worked for me.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Bobkat said...

Well, I guess he wasn't kidding when he said that! The interesting thing is, that when you take the fact that he was talking about guns out of the equation, what he was actually talking about was an erosion of civil liberties. We have that here in the UK at the moment with the Governenment banning things left right and centre in their race for votes.

Michele sent me to say hi!

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.