http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Dreams, They Complicate My Life

I'm starting to have anxiety dreams about the new job.

Last night, I dreamed that I was trying to call in sick to work, and all of the numbers I had were wrong. This type of event is not uncommon in my life. I used to have a recurring nightmare about two teachers in my elementary school chasing me through the hallways and getting me trapped up in the rafters in the cafetorium (yes, we had a cafetorium). This dream actually started before I even had either of these teachers, and then, in sixth grade, I actually WAS assigned one of them. Needless to say, I did not end up in the rafters, and I had a really good time in his class.

In fact, the year I started sixth grade, my mother is always pleased to remember, the night before school started, she and my father were rather surprised to see me dressed and ready, book bag in hand, begging for a ride to school, at 11:00 pm, just as the news was starting. I was so anxious, I thought the few hours of sleep I got took me through the entire night. Apparently, I didn't think to check the clock.

Another year, I got up at 4:00 a.m. to take my shower. I was starting junior high school, so of course I had to look good, and I was afraid my father, who woke up at 5:30 a.m, would use all the hot water.

The year I started kindergarten (KINDERGARTEN!!) I woke up my parents every hour on the hour to ask them if it was time for me to go to school already. Just couldn't wait to get started, I suppose.

So, here I am, 32 years later, another school year looming, and my subconscious is up to its old tricks. Courtney being Courtney, as my mother said.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

I used to get very anxious too, even as a teacher. Very normal!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Your neuroses are impressively broad and deep.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.