http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Respite

Our "staff meeting" today involved canoeing on the Charles River. Somehow, I got roped into steering.

It was a lovely glide. No one got wet, we had lovely views of Cambridge, and it reminded me of being on the pond with Andrew so many summers ago. He and I would go a lot. Canoeing with Andrew was always so peaceful, and fun, even when he made me steer. He wouldn't let me NOT learn that skill, and although I learned the proper way today, before we launched, the tricks I learned with Andrew were much more helpful. The last time I went canoeing, ten years ago, was a difficult experience, and I struggled to steer, not because the water was rough, but because the currents in the boat were.

Today, it made me feel confident, and serene, and happy. I need to go again, and soon.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

A staff outing...I love it! Could you imagine doing that with your former colleagues? A few would have ended up in the Charles!

9:33 PM  
Blogger HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

Yes, as I would have dumped a few of them in there.
I've also met my new job's version of Madame. She's "lovely".

9:37 PM  
Blogger yellojkt said...

I would love to canoe or kayak the Charles. I'm always watching the rowers/scullers practice when I'm up there.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.