http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Saturday, September 26, 2009

There's Always Other Boys...

So, Liz is here, and it really great to have her here. Norwood loves Liz. We had dinner at Paprika, and went shoe shopping, and I was compelled to buy these fabulous shoes, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that the style name is "Courtney". Cheetah-patterned pumps called the Courtney. It's fate. Or is it step one into cougar?


I ask this question because after the shoes, we went out for a few drinks. The BBC tends to attract a 20s-30s crowd, and there was a band playing last night, a lousy cover band that served as background. We spent a long portion of the night talking to the friends that were there with my friend Brian's wife, Alicia. Then, after they left, we noticed two guys down the end of the bar looking our way. Suddenly they were around us, doing the divide and conquer wingman routine beautifully. The two boys chatted Liz and I up for a long time, and then, last call happens. We turn to say goodbye; we shake hands, and leave. NO NUMBERS EXCHANGED.

Welcome to New England.

I'm convinced this is why I'm still single. Boys are stupid, throw ROCKS at them!! I'm serious! Their game was obviously trying to get with us, and their game plan was that they HAVE no game. This exact scenario happened to me two weeks ago. I went to see my friends play out, and I met a really nice guy at the bar, who talked to me all night, bought me drinks, talked to my friends, took a Goblet of Metal picture with us, even, and yet, end of the evening, no number.

Liz is always telling me that I am a rock star, and that men will put themselves out there to be with me, or try to be with me when they realize this. She and I had a long conversation about how I think I am intimidating to men (because, clearly, that thought is insane.) because they NEVER ask for my number. Ever. This is the story of my dating life. I find that at the end of the night, they are generally clueless, with rare exceptions. And honestly, it's not like I was desperate to get with either of these men, although L was pretty adorable. I think I'm most offended at the principle of it all--if you spend all this time talking to me, buying me drinks, complementing my outfit, then ask for the number. If it turns out that in the light of a different setting and less loud music, we don't enjoy each other's company, so be it.

I'm sure there's more than one of you saying, "you can ask for the number too, you know". And, this is true, I could. However, in both of these situations, I was approached by him. It's only fair. Like in sales, do the leg work, close the deal. Liz is convinced that New England boys have no game, and I just kept reiterating, "this is why I'm single."

Carry on, kids.

You Can Make Him Like You - The Hold Steady

MP3 File

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I think a social experiment is in order. And hell, they so approached us! They had a team. It was organized. They knew what they were doing.

I really wonder what it is. In Jersey, they would have had our numbers and friended us on Facebook before midnight.

11:00 AM  
Blogger captain assclown said...

as a gameless male, I take offense to this post. I would not have talked to two girls all night, buying them drinks and making plays without wanting a phone number. We're not that stupid.

6:15 PM  
Blogger courtney said...

Take all the offense you want; the official moron count in my life is up to three. These three were stupid, because clearly, I'm awesome.

Oh, and you HAVE my number ;)

6:18 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Hmmm, I wish I could offe some insight, but I've been out of the game waaay too long to even offer an opinion...but the shoes are FABULOUS!

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.