http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Saturday, November 28, 2009

And If The Elevator Tries To Break You Down, Go Crazy...

Waking up this morning, tired, with a headache, but definitely still smiling from last night's fun. Had you asked me in June of 1989 if it were possible for me to have had this much fun at my 20 year high school reunion, I would have laughed in your face at the idea of my even GOING to that event, never mind helping plan it, hugging everyone, and laughing all night long.



I posted on my Facebook profile yesterday that I was glad for the perspective 20 years has allowed me, as I knew I was going to be able to walk in that room and feel like I belonged there. Because one of the things I've learned over the last two decades is that high school is so not the end-all, be-all of who you are; it's just the beginning. And, I looked at all of the things I've managed to accomplish over the last few years, and I knew I would be really proud and happy to share those with my peers. That small girl who was bullied and ostracized for so long in her younger years, and stayed on the fringes throughout high school walked into that room last night looking fabulous, feeling accomplished, and had fun talking to every single person in there. And, to her surprise, they were all equally as glad to see her there, too. Three people even said to me that I was the reason they attended, which was simply amazing and humbling to hear.

Scott, me, Jeff

So, I checked people in and greeted them with hugs and smiles and laughter. People bought me drinks like it was their job to do so. And, towards the end of the night, one of the other organizers, who I was not particularly friendly with when we were young, turned to me and said I was now permanently on this organizing committee, I was able to smile and be sure of that fact.

Because, at this point, it's all water under the bridge. After 20 years, it's just not a big deal anymore who went to prom with who, or how many parties you were invited to by which person. What matters is what we've learned, and how we use it. And I've learned that everyone just wants to feel included.

Merri, Dan's wife, Dan

Last night, everyone was.

Amy, Brian, Joy

See the rest of the pictures here.


Let's Go Crazy - Prince and the Revolution

MP3 File

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.