http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

You Can Tell Her That I'm Easily Found

I have Jason Isbell to thank for this one.

Yesterday, two separate friends posted Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground, one of my favorite fall songs. This morning, I woke up to see in my facebook news reader, several quotes from the title track of what may be my favorite Springsteen album. That darkness he sings about is that darkness the fall ushers in on that chill breeze. It's always amazing to hear live, the few times I've seen him bring this one out to play.

"Darkness" reminds me of my neighborhood, growing up. Peter, the boy across the street, had this album propped up on his parents' hi-fi one afternoon, and I always wondered about that skinny guy in the leather jacket on the cover. When I found Bruce four years later, via the smashing success of "Born in the USA", the very NEXT Bruce album I bought was "Darkness", remembering the cover only. I love the unease in this album, the trepidation, the grit. Bruce can still channel it, too, even after all this time. I cannot WAIT for the reissue later this month, and the documentary.

Jason is playing here next week, and I'm going. If, as some gift from the universe, he was quoting this song repeatedly in order to maybe cover it during his live set, I'll make sure I pick up all the pieces of my brain after it explodes.

Make with the clicking; this one won't embed... the Barcelona concert. A mighty fine concert DVD, if I may add.

Here's a much older one...



Darkness on the Edge of Town - Bruce Springsteen

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With the much-anticipated release of the commemorative box set for Darkness on the Edge of Town slated for this November, Bruce Springsteen's classic record is getting renewed attention in the music world. Fans are surely hungry for all the historic material they can get from the 1978 recording sessions and subsequent tour.

For our own preview of what's to come, we contacted Dick Wingate, who was intimately involved in the launch and marketing of the album and tour. He offers an insider's view of what the Darkness era meant to Bruce and the band, while painting an often-humorous behind-the-scenes account of some of the tour's highlights.

Enjoy, and check out the book The Light in Darkness, which one fan said, "… would make a great companion piece to the commemorative Darkness box set…"

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.