http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Friday, October 08, 2010

You Never Planned on the Bombs In the Sand

Mom's Fight for Burial Near Son Leads to New Law

The soldier in this story, Corey, was one of my students my first year teaching in middle school. He was funny, caring, a huge hockey fan (he deliberately wore a Buffalo Sabres sweatshirt to class during a Bruins/Sabres playoff series to provoke me), and a terrible writer. He used to check in with me, even after he wasn't my student, just to say hi, talk hockey, whatever was on his mind. Seeing his face all over the news this morning (and a bit last night, too) has been really hard. And seeing the state his mother is in is even harder.

When we decide to be teachers, we have all these grand ideals of working with kids, helping them reach their potential, become learners, thinkers, productive citizens. Military funerals, any type of funeral, really, never figure in to that equation. For every soldier that makes that sacrifice, not only is there family grieving and friends grieving, but a teacher grieving the student he or she once knew, remembering the child that forgot their homework, shared their artwork, talked about their home life, aced a test and celebrated, helped a friend on the playground.

So send a little light and love Corey's mother's way, and to our troops, and to the teachers who stand to the side at those funerals and grieve a child they lost, too.

Dress Blues - Jason Isbell

MP3 File

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.