http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

A 365 to 40 Holiday, Day 1: Wish I Had A River

This year, it's all my best Christmas songs. The ones that make me weep, sing, sigh, laugh, dream, wish for something bigger, and feel blessed for what I have.

This song is one of the tunes that brought me to Joni Mitchell. This version is on the Indigo Girls' live album "1200 Curfews", and it has always just gone right through me, a shiver down my spine. "Wish I had a river I could skate away on..." Some years are just like that.

Although Joni's version is also excellent, Joni's version is like ice; this version is warmer, like the tears you cry even when you know the decision is right.

"I'm so hard to handle, I'm selfish, and I'm sad, and I lost the best baby that I ever had..."

First in my personal pantheon of Christmas songs. This one will make you sigh. Because, sometimes, Christmas isn't all putting up reindeer and singing songs of joy and peace.

River - Indigo Girls

MP3 File

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

Courtney :-) I'm so looking forward to this each day!

10:57 PM  
Blogger karen lucrece said...

thank you. thank you. yes, yes, it's a lovely sad song and this is a great cover. i can't disagree with that. but i really must say thank you again. i followed janet here from her sharing somewhere and...i just snorted my tea when i saw the name of your blog. my crappy little day is now slightly less crappy because of you. everytime i do that stupid "push the pull door" i made a midvale joke and no one gets it but me. clearly, i am no longer alone in my not so gifted world.

p.s. my favorite nothappychristmas song is "i hate christmas parties" by matthew thiessen...miserable but good.

9:38 PM  
Blogger courtney said...

Thanks for coming by, Karen and Janet! Lots more fun to come!

9:41 PM  
Blogger yellojkt said...

I have never heard this song before. Thanks.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.