http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

We Had Dreams And Songs To Sing

Thistle

This photo is not of the celebrated fields from this song, but we did drive through them to get to this place, this thistle-strewn path to one of Ireland's sacred ruins, Clonmacnoise. It was not the first time the fields had entered my consciousness during my trip.

One night, out in the pubs, in a particularly raucous pub named Taaffe's, I was trying to wind my way through the shoulder to shoulder crowd near the band at the back of the room. As I neared the front of the stage, the band struck up this song. A slightly more traditional rendition, to be sure, but it made my heart soar. So I stayed right up front and sang along, loudly and boldly, to the chorus, along with most of the crowd around me. It was one of those moments, which struck me often, that just screamed, "You are really here, and your life is changing."

By the time I got back to my friends, I was giddy. A bar band in Galway, playing Irish rock and traditional tunes. A crowd that was equally tourist and local, as another afternoon in Taaffe's had me overhear two young men speaking to each other in Gaelic. But that night, hearing this song that I love, being with these new friends, being free to be myself, singing, and dancing badly, and laughing from the depths of my heart, that night was one of my life's best moments.

Fields of Athenry - Dropkick Murphys


MP3 File

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.