http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Friday, April 15, 2011

Third Verse, Different From the First

I'm not talking about my colossally crappy week tonight. Instead, I'm going to talk about how I remembered where I was the afternoon I heard Joey had passed, and how I predicted it.

WBCN lunchtime 80s hour. I was driving to the center of town; I don't know why I was home this afternoon. Maybe it was Saturday, but I was all excited to hear "I Wanna Be Sedated" on the radio. Then, "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker", which, two in a row, made me nervous. Then, on the third song, "Blitzkrieg Bop", I knew something was terribly wrong.

And as the DJ came on air after the third song, and announced the sad passing of Joey, from lymphoma of all things, I remember shouting no, no, no. Joey's supposed to die in some weird overdose scenario with Iggy Pop and a goat, not something as ORDINARY and NOT PUNK ROCK as lymphoma. Dammit, I hate finding out my idols are human...

So, in Joey's honor. Ten years gone. We miss that slur, old friend.

Judy Is A Punk - The Ramones

MP3 File

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

sometimes, lately, when I hear 3 songs in a row and I don't know it's a 3for...I wonder.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.