http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Reclaiming This Song

Driving home yesterday, Christopher and I had his Beatles collection on shuffle. We are both huge, huge fans, and their music has marked many milestones in both of our lives. He asked me to add, "From Me To You" to our ongoing "Joy" playlist, and I happily obliged. I added one other to the playlist, too. I can't remember if he specifically asked, but I remember him smiling and squeezing my hand when it came up, and I squeezed back and turned away to cry a little.

My parents walked out of the church after their wedding to "Two Of Us". It was the perfect song for them. They met when they were twelve, and spent the next thirteen years moving in and out of each others lives until they finally married, getting together, it seemed, for good and all. "You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead..." Their marriage didn't last, and for years, that song has been ruined for me. That promise, that near perfect story wrecked by real life. But, it remains the perfect song for a couple setting out on that long adventure of life together. And, it's a perfect song for Christopher and I right now, lyrically, thematically, musically upbeat and moving forward with joy. "Two Of Us" is really a song about joy between partners.

I need to reclaim it. Because it's long been a favorite, and I miss it, and now that it's so relevant in my life, I need to have it around me.

Two Of Us - The Beatles

MP3 File

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Oh, thank God for that. No sarcasm, I've been waiting for this day since I first crawled into your head, my friend. :-)

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.