http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Monday, August 08, 2011

These Are The Good Old Days

This one's for Mom...

Back when my mother was post-high school, pre-married, she spent many summers here in Dennis with friends from Norwood. Her friend Nancy figures prominently in these stories, and it's a side of my mother that is fascinating to us. A wild, carefree, barely getting out of scrapes mother. And she is having such a good time remembering these stories, and navigating these back roads, and my sisters and I are just drinking it in. My mother rarely, if ever, drinks anymore, but back in these days, homemade screech, card games, and dancing on tables were a standard part of the mix.

What's so enjoyable is seeing how joyful my mother is retelling these stories. Stories about Nancy running down Rt. 28 with her bikini top nearly flying off, stories about musical trivia at the Improper Bostonian, and proving the "one tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor" adage, stories about late night card games in a cul de sac where four out of six houses were rented by Norwood folks, and a trashcan of "screech" (whatever you had, it went in the barrel). But really, these stories are less about the booze (although the boozy bits are funny), and really about the friendships and the bonds, and, well, the joy.

So, Mom is really enjoying her time down here. And we're enjoying the memories, too.



Anticipation - Carly Simon

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

how old is your Mom, Courtney?

2:19 PM  
Blogger HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

She is 63, Janet. She had me at the ripe old age of 23.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.