http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/477405803_93608b85ab_o.gif
Midvale School for the Gifted Alumni Association

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Day 23: A Christmas Fairytale

I can't remember the first time I heard this song, or even if I knew it was the Pogues then, but I remember falling in love with it the moment it was done. This song is, in all its broken promises and shattered dreams, one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful tales of Christmas ever. It ranks right up there with "It's a Wonderful Life", in the way it illustrates the "reality" of some Christmases.

I have never grown sick of this song. Play it 9 times in a row, and I'll want a tenth, and I'll sing every word, every time, and likely cry 9 of those 10 times. It's that ending; it kills me every time.

I could have been someone...
...well so could anyone. You took my dreams from me, when I first found you...
I kept them with me babe.
I've put them with my own,
Can't make it all alone,
I've built my dreams around you...

The boys of the NYPD choir still singin' "Galway Bay",
And the bells are ringing out for Christmas Day...

And it swirls to the end, a sad waltz into the unknown dark, and a last memory of love and hope fading with the last bars of music. This may be my favorite Christmas song.

(For last year's thought's, go here.)

Fairytale of New York - The Pogues


MP3 File

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has been a very nice advent series, Courtney. Thanks for sharing all of this wonderful music, and your thoughts on what it all has meant to you.

I doubt I'll be online much over the next couple of days, so I just want to wish you grace and peace, and Merry Christmas!

AC

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Midvale School For the Gifted

    follow me on Twitter
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Norwood, MA, United States

    "So I walk like I'm on a mission, 'cuz that's the way I groove. I've got more and more to do, I've got less and less to prove. It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures 'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." Ani D.


    www.flickr.com
    crau1971's photos More of crau1971's photos

    PodCamp

    Powered by Blogger

               
    Marriage is love.